This quick, no-soak Vitamix almond milk recipe makes fresh, delicious plant-based milk and cream in 15 minutes. Use it for all your favorite dishes that call for milk and never have to run to the store at the last minute again.
Maybe you need rich homemade almond cream to make Smoked Gouda Cheese. Or, you'd like fresh, additive-free vegan milk to pour over hot Apple Spice Kasha Cereal.
Well, no worries. This healthy, two-ingredient Vitamix almond milk recipe has you covered for everything from baking to making dinner to making the best vegan Indian tea with Chai Masala Powder.
🏆 Top tip
No need to soak nuts. Pour boiling water over almonds and wait for one minute. Then the skins slip off easily. Or, use almond flour. Either way, you'll have the creamiest, snow-white Vitamix milk or cream in no time.
⭐ Why it works
- Whole food without additives.
- Snow white color.
- Smooth and silky.
- No soak method.
- Quick 2-ingredient recipe.
- Versatile makes light almond milk to heavy almond cream.
- Substitute macadamia nuts or cashews for peeled almonds.
- Useful in sweet or savory dishes.
Only two ingredients are needed for recipe-ready fresh almond milk and cream. You can choose either whole almonds or almond flour. Both are interchangeable and make the smoothest, dreamy dairy-free milk.
- Whole almonds or almond flour - choose one or the other at your convenience.
- Water - filtered or bottled spring water.
- Vitamix or high-powered blender
- Cotton handkerchief or thin tea towel
Back in the day, I purchased nut-milk bags for making vegan, non-dairy milk. After too many burst bags and grainy results, I found a more straightforward solution.
A cotton handkerchief or thin tea towel takes the place of nut milk bags and finicky contraptions. You can even use old tee shirt material if it's more convenient.
When you have a Vitamix or equivalent high-powered blender and cotton fabric, you're set. The remaining items for making this recipe are standard in every kitchen.
When you choose almond flour over whole almonds, you won't even need the saucepan and strainer!
👩🏻🍳 How to skin almonds
When you make the recipe with whole almonds, you'll want to peel them for pure white nut milk with a silky smooth consistency.
Did you know it only takes one minute to blanch whole almonds? From there, it's simple to slip the loose skins off.
Not only will your nuts be raw and pristine, but you'll save money over expensive store-bought skinned almonds.
🥛 Make nut milk and cream
Once your whole nuts are skinned, or your almond flour is measured, you simply blend them int the Vitamix with filtered water.
Then, lay your cloth over a bowl and pour in the blended mixture. Gather the top of the cloth and twist. Wring and knead your bundle to extract all the Vitamix milk.
I love men's handkerchiefs and flour sack towels for making plant-based milk because they're uncomplicated, strain the finest texture and can be laundered repeatedly for use.
One of the fun parts of this Vitamix almond milk recipe is you choose how rich or light you want your non-dairy substitute to be. That way, it's perfect for the dish you're creating.
You can even make pristine macadamia nut or protein-rich cashew milk by substituting these nuts one-for-one for peeled almonds.
Simply follow the recipe's basic method to make any Vitamix almond milk or cream and adjust the ratio of nuts or flour to water as listed here.
- Extra rich almond cream - 1 part almond + 1 ½ parts water. For indulgent desserts, fillings, and silky coffee creamer. You can add vanilla, hazelnut extract, and dates or maple syrup to make flavored creamer.
- Almond cream - 1 part almond + 2 parts water. For pudding, flan, ice cream, frozen treats, savory sauces, and vegan cheese recipes.
- Rich Almond milk - 1 part almond + 3 parts water. For pancakes, breakfast bars, dinner rolls, cakes, and cookies.
- Cereal Almond Milk - 1 part almond + 4 to 6 parts water. Pour over cold cereal, granola, or oatmeal. Serve with cookies or make sweet chocolate almond milk.
No. Roasted nuts are great for snacking and other recipes, but you need raw, unseasoned nuts to blend plant-based milk and cream.
It's not necessary to soak whole nuts for smooth, creamy milk as long as you use a Vitamix with peeled almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts or almond flour.
You can use other blenders if they have a very powerful motor and sharp blades. It will take longer to make milk but still gives results heads and tails above store-bought almond milk for freshness and purity.
Use a Vitamix or high-powered blender and blend at the highest speed until the milk is slightly warm. The time will vary depending on your appliance. My Vitamix takes less than a minute, and my high-powered blender takes two to three minutes.
Easy! Tight-weave cotton fabric like thin tea towels or men's handkerchiefs work even better than finicky nut milk bags or equipment. Lay the cloth over a bowl, pour your blended mixture in, and gather the top edges of the cloth. Twist and knead the bundle until all the plant-based milk is extracted.
Unlike alternative milk from the store, homemade nut milk and cream are free from all additives, including stabilizers. Pure, two-ingredient nut milk may separate over time. Just give it a shake before using it.
Freshly-made almond milk perishes faster than other types of nut and seed milks. However, it will hold for 3 days if well refrigerated.
You can compost the almond pulp. If you are more ambitious, substitute it for part of the flour or cereal in whole-food recipes. Crackers, cookies, energy bars, granola, and muffins are just a few possibilities. When using wet pulp, reduce the liquid in the recipe. When using dry pulp, increase the oil or fat. Let us know if you come up with a signature baked good!
🧈 More vegan staples
Enjoyed this post? Leave a comment, rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it, and follow @poppyswildkitchen on Instagram. Aloha!
Vitamix Almond Milk Recipe
- 1 cup whole raw almonds or substitute 1 cup almond flour
- 3 cups filtered water
Peel whole almonds if using
- Place whole almonds in a medium-sized bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for one minute.
- Pour almonds into a strainer and rinse with cold water. Pinch almonds between thumb and forefinger to slip skins off.
Make milk or cream
- Place peeled almonds, or almond flour if substituting, in a Vitamix or high-powered blender.
- Blend for one to three minutes on the highest speed until the mixture is slightly warm to the touch.
- Lay a large cotton handkerchief or thin tea towel over a medium-sized bowl. Pour blended milk in, taking care to keep the edges of the cloth draped on the outside of the bowl.
- Gather the edges of the cloth and twist tightly at the top. Wring and knead the bundle until all the almond milk is extracted.
Bottle and store
- Pour Vitamix almond milk into a glass bottle or jar and refrigerate immediately. Milk will keep for 3 days.
"Share Your Thoughts"