I have a confession to make about my Fluffy Homemade Ricotta. This fantastic, creamy, plant-based cheese is only possible because I have a second lover. The crazy thing is, my devoted husband introduced me to my second lover. Hubby knows me better than I know myself at times. So he surprised me one year on my birthday with a gift I couldn’t bring myself to ask for.
To understand the gift, you probably ought to know my second lover’s name. So, brace yourself. My second lover’s name is Vitamix. All kidding aside, it’s no joke to say I am genuinely in love with my kitchen appliance. Why am I so enamored? Well, this high-performance blender opens up a world of recipes I could not create otherwise. It’s a dream machine for a plant-based diet.
Now that you know my second lover isn’t actually a person, you might wonder why I hesitated to buy it myself. Simply put, the cost was higher than I am used to paying for kitchen equipment. Looking back, I feel the price for this powerful, professional machine is a real bargain. I have used mine for years. Believe me, it gets a lot of action in our kitchen.
So, if you don’t already have a Vitamix and the price seems a bit daunting, I encourage you to talk to any friend who owns one. I would be amazed if they didn’t tell you it’s worth every penny. I am expecting it will influence you in the right direction. That way, my ulterior motive will be fulfilled. I want you to be able to make the best homemade ricotta yourself, as well as countless other spectacular plant-based dishes.
The ingredients for this recipe couldn’t be simpler. The preparation technique transforms soaked raw macadamia nuts into a barely sweet, utterly delicious, fresh ricotta. A pinch of nutmeg and quality sea salt flavor the cheese. The result is ricotta that would fool anyone into thinking it’s made by an artisan Italian cheesemaker.
The real magic, thanks to Vitamix, is that the finished recipe has precisely the texture of traditional dairy-based counterparts. Other nuts make marvelous, smooth vegan cheeses like my Cultured Cashew Cream Cheese or Healthy Smoky Gouda. However, if you want the fine grain that is unique to ricotta, this recipe for Fluffy Homemade Ricotta Cheese made with macadamia nuts is for you.
Fluffy Homemade Ricotta Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups raw macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup water less one tablespoon
- 1/4 tsp. quality sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Place nuts in a quart jar and fill with water. Soak overnight and up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Rinse and drain nuts well. Place in a Vitamix with remaining ingredients. Measure water carefully and don't add too much.
- Turn Vitamix on to medium-low speed and grind briefly until nuts are a uniform coarse meal.
- Turn Vitamix up to highest speed and use tamper to assist blending. Blend until mixture is fluffy, creamy and smooth but still has a bit of fine grain like traditional ricotta cheese. Likely the mixture will be slightly warm at this point. Don't blend past a lukewarm temperature.
- Your ricotta is ready to eat as is or use in any recipe you like.