Mock chicken made from tofu is an easy-to-prepare, tasty addition to plant-based dishes. Tofu is often described as bland and soft. However, those qualities make it possible to transform an otherwise boring food into a fabulous meat alternative.
You may already know what innovative chefs know. Tofu can absorb an incredible amount of flavor from bold seasonings. Well, my chicken-flavored Quick Vegan Bouillon is ideal for this recipe.
🍗 Vegan chicken seasoning
It's quick to stir together, and a jar lasts months in the refrigerator. Of course, it's made with healthy, all-natural ingredients. I am really surprised by how much it provides a mock chicken taste. This store-bought version can also work if it's more convenient for you.
So now we are halfway there. But no matter how tasty a vegan dish is, it won't substitute for meat if it isn't chewy, right? Once again, tofu's malleability makes it possible. Through trial and error, I found an easy way to infuse the seasonings and get that sought-after meaty texture.
The recipe is really simple. You won't need to marinate tofu for long periods or come up with a tofu press. Believe it or not, you only need two ingredients. A package of medium-firm tofu and vegan chicken flavoring mix is all it takes. A saucepan and a cookie sheet are the only required equipment.
🍴 Chewy texture
The secret to preserving the tempting juicy interior of the mock chicken and having a chewy outside is a combination of boiling and briefly oven-drying the tofu.
The short oven time toughens the golden skin on the tofu and intensifies its savoriness. Plus, this straightforward process is finished in slightly over 30 minutes.
There you have it, a staple for all your stir-fries, risottos, grilled dishes, and more.
It's sensational in Kalisa's Papaya Salad. You'll even get a little story about Cannery Row with the recipe!
🥙 More Vegan Meat Alternatives
Enjoyed this post? Leave a comment, rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it, and follow @poppyswildkitchen on Instagram. Aloha!
Easy Mock Chicken From Tofu
- 1 lb. firm tofu
- 2 cups water
- 1 TB Better Than Chicken Flavor Mix
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Drain 1 lb. firm tofu. Slice ¼ - ½ inch thick and cut into squares, triangles, or strips as desired.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in 1 TB Better Than Chicken Flavor Mix. Add tofu and adjust the heat to a soft boil. Cook tofu for 15 minutes.
- Set a rack over a bowl or large plate. Carefully remove tofu from cooking broth. Let tofu drain on rack.
- Transfer pieces of tofu to parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes, flipping over halfway through.
- Remove tofu from oven and let cool on cookie sheet. Your tofu is ready to eat as is, or saute and bake into any dishes you like.