Classic Cream of Mushroom Soup is a popular, time-honored favorite. This healthy version is extra velvety and loaded with mushroom bits. Your friends and family will never guess it’s vegan because it is so luxurious and satisfying. Fresh thyme, white pepper, and a dash of apple cider add an elegant twist to the earthy mushroom flavor.
If you love rich, indulgent dishes, this is bound to be a soup to add to your comfort food list. I sometimes have a dilemma that I wonder if you can relate to. How can we enjoy all the many foods we desire without gaining excess weight? Well, that’s one of the things I appreciate most about this recipe. It’s every bit as rich and creamy tasting as other versions made with tons of fat, but it’s better for you with half the calories.
Any good mushroom soup is made with heaps of mushrooms. In addition, it’s important that the mushrooms still have a meaty texture in a creamy soup. So, how does one get around the daunting chore of slicing all those mushrooms into the perfect dice? Yup, that’s the other thing I love about this recipe. I have a little trick that eliminates the tedious job of chopping all the mushrooms.
You’ll find instructions in the recipe for using a blender half-filled with water to pulse chop vegetables in an instant. So, if you haven’t learned this technique yet, this recipe is just made for you. What a difference it makes. Now it’s possible to have the ultimate fresh mushroom soup in under 30 minutes any night of the week.
I think it’s fantastic to enjoy a sumptuous dish all the while knowing dessert is still in the cards. Take your pick, this Easy Cream Of Mushroom Soup leaves you both time and calories to go for a sweet treat afterward.
Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4 cups filtered water divided
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms stems removed
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup yellow onion finely minced
- 1 large clove garlic grated
- 2 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider or 3 TB cooking sherry
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 2 TB fresh thyme leaves
- Put 3 cups of water and all the raw mushrooms in a blender. Cover securely. Pulse briefly a few strokes on high to chop mushrooms. It's easy to over-chop them, so make sure to start and stop the pulse quickly to keep chunks of mushroom. If a few mushrooms float on top, push them down to bottom of blender.
- Strain mushrooms, reserving the mushroom water. Set chopped mushrooms aside and return mushroom water to the blender. Add raw cashews and remaining cup of water to blender. Blend on high for 2 minutes until very smooth.
- Add chopped onion to a 6-cup saucepan and saute until tender. Add garlic, mushrooms, and salt. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in apple cider, pepper, thyme, and cashew cream. Turn heat up a little. Cook, stirring constantly to keep bottom from burning. Once soup comes to a boil and thickens, remove from heat.
- Garnish with fresh thyme leaves and red chili flake if desired. Yum!